Thursday, November 10, 2011

Jersey Shore vs. The Brady Bunch

Before I get into these next two pieces, I'd like to explain my process of working - or more really, the way I like my surroundings while arting it up. When I work at home I always prefer background noise from the TV as opposed to music, I get too picky and indecisive with music and am constantly changing up the tunes instead of focusing on my work. With TV, it may be distracting at first (like when initially choosing a channel) but once I get into working I almost forget that it's on at all. There's usually an awkward moment at some point in the afternoon when I look up and realize that I've been watching (listening to) women giving birth all afternoon. This happens quite frequently when I have TLC on, A Baby Story, much?

Now that you understand, I can admit that I somehow started watching Jersey Shore. This happened the same way as the aforementioned happens, but once I looked up at the TV and realized what was on.. it was too late. I was hooked at first because I was so annoyed, so angry that this is what people think of and expect from my home state. (I was on a trip to Michigan in May and stopped in at the local Starbucks and upon giving the barista my partner numbers she asked where I was from, the usual question, but when I responded "Jersey" her eyes lit up and she asked, "Oh my god! Is it JUST like the show Jersey Shore there?!" Well, I'm sick and tired of this.. because it's not. Not if you're a normal human being as opposed to an MTV celebrity.) So I watched.. and I watched.. and I was hooked in a weird way. I ended up watching the complete series online, cringing through their drunken escapades, counting the times Deena fell down, and turning away every time Sam and Ronnie felt the need to break up and get back together again. I will admit though, there were quite a few times when I laughed out loud. There, I said it.

Moving on, it was sometime during the beginning of season three when I decided I needed to illustrate these guys. It was completely appropriate for two reasons: 1. I'm wasting my time watching the damn show anyway, I might as well use it as reference and 2. I could use a few celebrity portraits in my portfolio, it's about time I get on that. So, the obvious way to go about this is to compare TV now to TV when it was wholesome, a.k.a. The Brady Bunch era. That idea combined with a six word memoir only equals one thing.. exactly what I have for you here today:




The choosing of this memoir was inspired by the fact that the Jersey Shorians often refer to themselves as a family - a rather dysfunctional one, but a family nonetheless, I suppose. Also, maybe I was a bit biased when painting Sammi, this painting was beginning to take shape at the peak of her and Ron's fighting. I do apologize. And it really did work out in the end that Angelina came and went and was replaced by Deena or I never would've been able to fill nine squares. See? Everything happens for a reason.. even Angelina's tears. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment