Thursday, February 9, 2012

Finally Finding...

As I promised months ago, an explanation of my new and improved thesis is finally here. I kept putting it off, trying to complete as much work as possible before I revealed it to the online world but I realized that's a ridiculous idea. I'm going to start from the beginning, with posting the first piece that turned everything around. The project still consists of six word memoirs paired with illustrations, the difference is the overall theme and layout of the final book. Each spread is now a full page (20 inch long by 8 inch tall paintings that make an overall 10 x 8 inch book) as opposed to one page containing hand lettering and the opposite page made up of a full bleed illustration. There is also a theme, which makes the largest difference. Instead of a handful of random images compiled into a book, each spread now illustrates a place - these places vary from realistic to completely imaginative and have a memoir hand lettered into the composition. The final piece I'm going to complete is a map that will be twice the size of each painting (20 x 16 inches) that folds out from the first pages of the book itself. An element from each full page spread will be worked into the map which will contain a key to make it easy to navigate the book and visit the places you'd like to see.

The first piece that I completed in this style was a fluke, I was trying something new that happened to work out really well and the rest is history. And now, for your viewing pleasure:


"Finally finding without ever having looked"

I have six additional pieces near completion at the moment but I will post them as soon as all my nit-picky fixes are made. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment