Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Book Project: Complete

Alas! I have returned (I feel like I say that every time I make an entry lately, they've been so sparse). Fortunately I have brought with me a plethora of work to post, so much that it's difficult to pick and choose what to add without overdoing it. Since I last left you in the beginning of August, I somehow managed to finish my book Growing up Biker Style before the fall semester began. The official title is as follows:




Or, if you'd like to see the custom patch I had made for the cover, it looks a little somethin' like this…




Or, if that isn't enough for you, here is a photo of the actual bound and completed book:


 

It's held together with three 3/4" book screws – I could have fainted the day we drilled the holes on the drill press, watching all that work under the weight of such heavy machinery, knowing there wasn't enough material left to make another copy should something go wrong – but as you can see it was well worth it in the end.

Now, onto the drawings! These images are in order of how they appear in the book – if I post any that have made an appearance here before it's because I've altered it in some way, shape, or form.

The first self portrait I've done in years, appearing in the introduction:




Technically, I suppose this is a self portrait as well – this was one of the first images I made for the book, still a favorite, but with a slightly different, subtle background:




One of the most charming pieces, of course, father and daughter motorcycle vests:




My grandfather's accident, an excerpt of text from the book…

December 10, 1990
My earliest memory is visiting my grandfather in the hospital after the accident – I was three years old and I still remember it like it happened yesterday. He had taken the Goldwing to meet my uncle for breakfast on a 
wintery Sunday morning and it happened on the way home. It was a careless man who caused the scene as he switched lanes on the highway not even a mile from our house, tapping my grandfather into the pavement, causing his leg to be crushed by the weight of the bike as they skidded across the ground together. All that was left keeping his foot attached to his leg was skin.

We brought his 63rd birthday cake to his bedside just days after his foot was reattached at the ankle and this is the part that I remember clearly. I really didn’t understand the severity of his accident at the time, but for years and years and even still do this day, every time I see the scar on his leg I can’t help but feel lucky that he’s here – toes, foot, ankle, and all.




If you're from North Jersey you know that It would be wrong not to include The Notch:




And now I've really lied when I said I haven't done a self portrait in years...




My grandfather's stolen Harley, a proposed tattoo idea to start off his half-sleeve at age 84:




This has been found most impressive by numerous viewers and riders alike: the timeline of the twenty-two motorcycles my family has owned. These aren't necessarily in the order we've purchased them, but in the order of the year they were produced...




And to bring the story to a close, a drawing of Matt and I as we ride together today. Unfortunately I couldn't add this bike to our timeline because it's not owned by a Jacobs family member, so just for the record it is a 2001 Harley Davidson Dyna Glide:




And who could forget endpapers? Always an important finishing touch:



There are many more drawings and stories that appear in the actual book – If you'd like to see the complete version the best way would be to come to our MFAI Book Show! It runs from September 23rd through October 15th 2011 and the opening reception is on Tuesday, September 27 from 6 to 8 PM at the SVA Gallery / 209 East 23rd Street, New York, NY 10010.

It's going to be a particularly great show, I can promise you that. There will be work from all eighteen of us in the MFAI program, check it out! Rafa AlvarezJoana AvillezElizabeth BaddeleyTrip CarrollCharles Chaisson Tony DiMauroNina FrenkelLi Pei Huang, Jae Kyung Jeong, A. E. KierenHaejeon Jessica LeeJohn MaltaCharnelle PinkneyCecilia RuizBrad SoucyDasha TolstikovaRebecca Zomchek

No comments:

Post a Comment