Tuesday, March 29, 2011

The Penguin Group

This coming Thursday my whole MFAI class is taking a trip to Penguin Books to meet with Paul Buckley. Instead of having portfolio reviews we were told to bring an extra special leave-behind. On Sunday I got to work on a one-of-a-kind hand-bound portfolio book to leave with him that features seventeen of my personal favorite (and strongest) illustrations. I haven't posted it until now because I was so frustrated at certain points during the making that I didn't even want to look at it for a couple days. Shrug, it's natural - happens every time I bind a book.

I started off by sketching out a penguin skeleton (too obvious? oh well!) which I enjoyed very very much. It's been about a year since I've done one of these and it felt great to revisit the idea. Although the most important factor was once the screenprinting, ink and digital color will just have to do for now.


Here's an image of the printed and bound book...


I feel like it's got the perfect amount of handmade-ness and hopefully will go over well. Wish me (and all of us) luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment